Best Spreader Bars: How to Choose and How to Use Them?
If you’re a fan of BDSM, then a spreader bar is just another sex toy that you’re highly likely to enjoy using. BDSM sex toys such as the ones you’re about to see, or ball gags, or collars, and so many others are some of the most exciting types out there. The thrill they bring to the experience is indescribable.
With that said, what you have below is a short guide to show you all about these fantastic sex toys. Take a few minutes to read it, analyze some of the suggestions I’ve found for you, and you’ll know exactly which one is perfect for you.
Table of contents
Key Tips for Choosing the Best Spreader Bar
Let’s go over several quick tips you might want to remember before buying a spreader bar sex toy:
- Ensure both you and your partner are willing to try the toy before you buy one.
- A budget of $50 to $100 is ideal if you want to get a good, durable spreader bar that will last for a long time.
- These toys are generally super easy to clean and maintain. Even the padded ones often feature removable pads that let you clean with ease.
- If you’re in a scenario that requires you to take the bar with you on trips or similar, you’re advised to look for portable bars that are foldable or detachable.
- The most important features to focus on are the bar’s adjustability, its cuffs, its materials, and whether or not it is compatible with extra attachments.
- Stay away from the super cheap spreader bars. They are not worth it and not safe to use. The poor material and build quality won’t offer a good experience.
- You can enjoy these sex toys in countless positions. They are also gender-neutral, meaning absolutely anyone can have fun with them.
Spreader Bars We Recommend
Liberator Talea Faux Leather Spreader Bar with Cuffs
This spreader bar allows you to lock both your arms and your legs. It comes with four cuffs and a very comfortable padded bar that you’ll definitely enjoy using a lot. There are several positions that you can enjoy while using this bar. You have a lot of room to experiment. There are also two D-rings on this bar that you can use to attach ropes, sashes, or anything else that’s compatible.
- Highly versatile
- Can be used on ankles and wrists at the same time
- Feels very comfortable
- Removable cover / easy to clean
- Fairly expensive
- Its length is not adjustable
Sportsheets Edge Adjustable Spreader Bar
Enjoy all the action you can handle with this heavy-duty adjustable spreader bar. It extends up to 37 inches (94 cm) in length and lets you attach the wrist or ankle cuffs of your choice. And when you want to take it with you, it disassembles and packs compactly for easy transport. And it’s not even that expensive.
- Good price
- Very durable
- Does not include wrist or ankle cuffs
Bondage Boutique Extreme Expandable Spreader Bar with Leather Cuffs
If you want your partner to be locked in on all-fours, then this is the best spreader bar you can get for them. There are two ankle cuffs on the sides and two wrist cuffs in the middle. When strapped correctly, the wearer is forced to bend down and be restrained in an all-fours position. Both their legs and arms are tied together. Luckily, the bar is highly adjustable and can be extended and rotated to fit your needs.
- Fun and versatile
- Very adjustable
- Comes with locks and keys
- The locks and keys aren’t amazing
DOMINIX Deluxe 20 Inch Expandable Spreader Bar
The DOMINIX Deluxe is an adjustable spreader bar of the highest quality. It’s made from polished steel and features super strong buckles for the ultimate restraint. Overall, this is a super durable spreader bar that’s perfect for someone who knows what they’re doing and loves to get freaky.
- Extremely durable
- Very nice materials
- Not cheap
CalExotics Scandal Spreader Bar
With the CalEexotics Scandal Spreader, you can attach four cuffs, be it ankle or wrist cuffs - that’s completely your choice. The bar itself is wrapped in designer fabric that not only feels great but looks luxurious. And, despite all that comfort and luxury, it still features an affordable price tag.
- Sturdy and durable
- Very classy
- Adjustable and comfortable
- Not the easiest adjustability mechanism
- Some prefer it to be a bit longer
Master Series Adjustable Steel Spreader Bar
This spreader bar is foldable and very easy to transport or store. It also comes with cuffs that you can lock, so there’s no escape for the person strapped and spread. It has a very wide range of adjustment from 58 to 90 centimeters.
- Super adjustable
- Durable and sturdy
- Comes with locks
- Adjusting the length isn’t easy
How to Choose the Right Spreader Bar for You
Spreader bars aren’t very complicated sex toys. It doesn’t take a lot to find a good one for you and your partner. Read this short guide and you’ll know exactly what you need in no time.
What Is a Spreader Bar?
Spreader bars are sex toys that literally keep your legs or arms spread and locked in place. These are excellent for BDSM play and go perfectly with similar toys such as BDSM collars and so on.
There are a few important features you need to worry about when it comes to these toys.
Here’s all you need to know.
Types of Spreader Bars
These toys aren’t officially classified into different categories or types. Essentially, they are all just normal rods on which you can attach cuffs. Now, they can have different features.
- Normal spreader bars come with only two cuffs, usually for the legs
- Others can have four cuff attachments, both for the ankles and wrists at the same time
- Many bars are adjustable in length but a lot also aren’t adjustable at all
- Some are padded, some aren’t
- Some come with keys and locks for the cuffs
Now, let’s dive a bit deeper into the most important features you need to look out for.
Most Important Features
The most important features when it comes to spreader bars you should learn about are their adjustability, number of cuff attachments, material, and extra attachments.
For most users, this is the single most important feature. It ensures you can use it in more positions and that the bar itself will perfectly fit more and more users. It sort of allows universal use.
So, when buying a spreader bar, check how far it extends. Most commonly, these bars extend up to 37 inches, or 94 cm. However, there are so many out there. Some will stretch more but some far less.
A key part of any spreader bar is its cuffs. If you can’t cuff your wrists or ankles to it, then what good is it during sex?
So, what’s important to know here?
There are a number of different cuffs out there. Some are more comfortable while others will be a hassle to use.
If you’re a complete beginner, try to find ones that are adjustable. So, the bar should be adjustable but the cuffs can be too.
On the other hand, you can also find cuffs that can be locked with a key. These can enhance the thrill significantly once your partner locks them and holds the key for you.
If you think that any spreader bar out there is super durable and unbreakable, then you are very wrong. You’d be surprised by how many bars break easily and are rendered useless after the first try.
So, what do you want to do here?
You want to find ones with exceptional reviews regarding durability. Or, you can also stick to models that are made from steel. This is a material that has a tough time breaking apart.
Some bars will come with extra attachments or at least rings that support extra attachments. This list of attachments can include ropes, sashes, and similar BDSM items.
How Much Do Spreader Bars Cost?
If you want a really high-quality spreader bar that won’t break apart after two tries, then you have to be ready to pay more than $20. The really good ones cost close to $100, and often more.
However, if you’re a complete beginner, you can easily get one that costs $50-$60 and test the waters without worry. These bars can handle regular use and will give you a very good idea of what it’s like to use a spreader bar during sex with your partner.
How to Use a Spreader Bar?
You want to make sure that you’ve gotten the right bar for you or your partner first. This includes everything we’ve talked about so far.
If you found the perfect one, then here are a few tips on how to use it effectively and safely.
- The first thing you should do is make sure both you and your partner are absolutely willing to try using this sex toy.
- Second, simply try on the bar without assuming any special positions. Just wear it and see how it feels. Get comfortable with it.
- After that, all that’s left is to have fun and try out different sex positions with a spreader bar. You’d be surprised by how many unique ones you can enjoy.
This is basically all you’ll need if you want to find the best spreader bar and learn how to use it properly. Now, review our suggestions, find some other ones if you prefer, and get one that feels perfect for you. Have fun!
Only the cheap, low-quality spreader bars are more prone to causing you harm because they can break more often. Higher-quality, more durable bars are much safer.
Absolutely! You can use a wide variety of sex toys, including but not limited to vibrators, collars, nipple clamps, and much, much more.
Of course. These are gender-neutral sex toys and can perfectly satisfy any couple and any type of relationship.