Benefits of Prostate Milking (Prostate Massage) and How to Do it
Table of contents
Prostate milking, also known by many as prostate massage, is a practice that involves stimulating the prostate gland to promote prostate health and overall well-being. While it might not be a topic frequently discussed, prostate milking has lately gained attention for its potential benefits.
What is prostate milking?
Prostate milking (or prostate massage) is the gentle manipulation of the prostate gland, a walnut-sized organ positioned directly below the bladder and in front of the rectum in males or people who were born with male genital organs. This gland is in charge of creating seminal fluid, which nourishes and transports sperm during ejaculation. This term refers to the process of exerting pressure to the prostate in order to discharge collected fluids and maybe improve its function.
What are its benefits?
According to studies, this practice has various health benefits including but not limited to:
- Improving Prostate Health: Regular prostate milking was shown to prevent the accumulation of fluids and toxins within the prostate, potentially reducing the risk of prostate-related issues such as prostatitis and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) which is a frequent health problem found especially in elderly men.
- Enhancing Sexual Function: Prostate milking has been linked to higher sexual enjoyment and erectile function in certain men. Because of its strong innervation, stimulating the prostate was proved to result in more intense orgasms or orgasms that are described as being deeper than those obtained from other types of sexual stimulations.
- Relief from Discomfort or pain: For those with prostate-related discomfort, such as congestion or inflammation, prostate milking can offer relief by draining excess fluids.
- Healthy Circulation: Prostate milking can stimulate blood flow in the prostate area, promoting therefore an overall better circulation.
- Early Problem Detection: engaging in regular prostate milking could enhance one’s sensitivity to any alterations in their prostate, enabling the early identification of potential concerns like prostate cancer or benign prostatic hyperplasia. These conditions are discerned by the variations sensed during prostate examination.
How to do prostate milking/massage?
It’s important to approach prostate milking with caution and care, there are some steps that can help individuals have a pleasurable and pain free practice of prostate milking such as:
- Preparation: It’s always a good idea to start by prepping for the act by cutting one’s nails to prevent injuries. It’s also beneficial to empty the bowels and bladder before starting.
- Hygiene: Cleaning one’s hands and the anal area is also essential in order to avoid any infections.
- Lubrification: Because the anal region produces minimal natural lubrication, it is advisable to use a water-based lubricant to provide a smooth and comfortable experience, especially if one intends to use sex toys for this act.
- Positioning: Finding a comfortable position, such as lying on the back with the knees bent or propping up the hips, is a very important step. The person can also try different positions to find what works best for them.
- Gentle Stimulation: To begin the massage, one may first locate the prostate, which feels like a little, rounded bump, by inserting a lubricated finger (or a specifically designed prostate massager) into the anus. From there, one could proceed by gently exerting pressure and massaging the area in a circular motion.
- Pressure and Sensation: The individual can experiment with different pressures and motions to find what feels comfortable and pleasurable for them. During this phase it is normal to feel the urge to urinate or have a bowel movement initially.
- Duration: Most often, it is advised to begin with brief sessions of a few minutes and then progressively extend them as one grows more used to the sensation.
- Hygiene Afterward: After that, it’s important to clean the area thoroughly to maintain proper hygiene.
Can prostate milking be dangerous?
While prostate milking can offer benefits, there are some potential risks to be aware of such as:
- Infection Risk: The danger of introducing bacteria into the urethra or rectum increases in the absence of basic hygiene and lubrication. Thereby, using clean hands and a water-based lubricant is always advised.
- Discomfort or pain: This method of massage may not be enjoyable for everyone as some people may find it to be uncomfortable and unpleasant.
- Komisaruk B. R. (2010). The orgasm answer guide. Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Nickel, J. C., Downey, J., Feliciano, A. E., Jr, & Hennenfent, B. (1999). Repetitive prostatic massage therapy for chronic refractory prostatitis: the Philippine experience. Techniques in urology, 5(3), 146–151.
- Levin R. J. (2018). Prostate-induced orgasms: A concise review illustrated with a highly relevant case study. Clinical anatomy (New York, N.Y.), 31(1), 81–85. https://doi.org/10.1002/ca.23006
- Lee, A., Gaither, T. W., Langston, M. E., Cohen, S. E., & Breyer, B. N. (2021). Lubrication Practices and Receptive Anal Sex: Implications for STI Transmission and Prevention. Sexual medicine, 9(3), 100341. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esxm.2021.100341