Average Penis Size. Penis Length and Girth by Country
* The map above is interactive
What is the average penis size in the world?
In short, according to my research and analysis:
- The average erect penis length worldwide is 13.47 cm (5.31 in).
- The average flaccid penis length worldwide is 9.49 cm (3.74 in).
- The average erect penis circumference worldwide is 11.83 cm (4.66 in).
- The average flaccid penis circumference worldwide is 9.34 cm (3.68 in).
At the beginning of the article, there is an interactive map where you can check penis sizes by clicking on a specific country. Below, you’ll find several informative graphs about penis sizes and interesting findings, as well as a table with more detailed data for each country. At the bottom, you’ll also find detailed explanations of how the data was collected and adjusted, so you can understand the numbers you see here.
Table of contents
Before we delve deeper into the world of penis size statistics, there are a few things I want you to understand before you read on.
- The data you find in this article differs from other data you see on the internet because I have made a number of adjustments that I believe make the data closer to reality. I’ll explain this in more detail later. I also give the sources for each country’s data that I used. You can find the sources in the table below by scrolling to the right. In total, I have spent more than 100 hours researching and writing this article.
- The average penis size is a range rather than a fixed number. Even though I’ve calculated the average based on the data I’ve found (which is based on more than 180,000 people), which is 13.47 cm (5.31 in) for erect penis length, it’s not set in stone. If your erect penis length is between 12 and 14 cm (4.7 – 5.5 in), you are absolutely normal. In some countries, if it’s around 10 cm (3.94 in), you’re also normal.
- Like all other articles on this subject, this one may have some errors, but I have tried to minimize them. I have actually tried to correct/improve/remove the questionable data you see in other similar articles on the internet.
Average Erect Penis Length by Country. Top 20 Countries
As you can see, the number one country is the same as in all the other ratings, it’s Ecuador with an incredible average erect penis length of 17.68 cm (6.96 inches). The data should be reliable as 1000 participants were measured. The caveat here is that I couldn’t find the original source article online and had to rely on the data from this research.
Other things to know here:
- The Republic of the Congo (or simply Congo) would rank first in this ranking if data were not adjusted due to being self-reported.
- Zimbabwe, the Central African Republic and the Gambia have a low number of participants and, in my opinion, this makes the reliability of the data questionable.
- Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) would also be on the list, at 15.90 cm, but the data for this country is very limited (no flaccid length, circumference, etc.), so it is excluded from the comparisons.
In addition, there are a few abbreviations/shortened names that will repeat in the graphs:
- Congo name is used for the Republic of the Congo, not for the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
- CAR abbreviation stands for Central African Republic
- UAE abbreviation stands for United Arab Emirates
Average Erect Penis Length by Country. Bottom 20 Countries
You may have noticed that the majority of countries are in the Asian region, with Myanmar men having the shortest penises at 9.27 cm (3.65 in).
Other things to know here:
- Malaysia would also be on the list but is excluded from the comparisons for lack of other data. The penis length in Malaysia is 11.49 cm (4.52 in).
- The data for Samoa and Laos are based on fewer than 100 participants, so the reliability is somewhat questionable.
- The data on North Korea is very old, so its reliability is somewhat questionable.
Erect Penis Length Deviation from Mean
This graph generally illustrates the same rankings as above, just in the form of a difference between the country’s average penis length and the world’s average penis length.
You can see that there are only a few countries with a difference of more than 2 cm (0.79 in) from the mean. And if you think about it, 2 cm (0.79 in) isn’t that much. My idea is that even if you’re from a country with a smaller average penis size, you don’t need to worry.
Average Erect Penis Circumference by Country. Top 20 Countries
You may have heard that penis thickness is more important than length. While everything is a question of individual preference, there is some truth to this statement and penis circumference can’t be neglected when speaking about penis sizes.
You may notice that European countries have way better standings here than in length ranking, with France and Netherlands leading the list.
Other things to know here:
- Congo name is used for the Republic of the Congo, not for the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
- Data for Belize is based on less than 100 participants and may therefore be less reliable.
Average Erect Penis Circumference by Country. Bottom 20 Countries
While this list looks relatively diversified, the majority of countries are still Asian.
Erect Penis Circumference Deviation from Mean
There’s not much to comment on here. There are only a few countries with a difference of more than 1.5 cm (0.59 in). And a difference of 1 cm (0.39 in) from the mean in any direction should not be a cause for concern.
Average Penis Volume by Country. Top 20 Countries
While the length and circumference of the erect penis are the main measurements we should consider, the volume of the penis is also an interesting metric to analyze. And since we know the length and circumference, it’s easy to do.
The formula is Π × R2 × L (just a cylinder volume formula) where:
- Π is constant and equals 3.14
- R is the radius of the penis and can be calculated from the circumference.
- L is erect penis length
The results are given in cubic centimeters (or cubic inches).
As you can see, Ecuador is still at the top of the list, but there are now quite a few European countries on the list.
Average Penis Volume by Country. Bottom 20 Countries
As for the countries with the smallest penis volume, most of them are from Asian regions.
Difference Between Flaccid and Erect Length By Country
Flaccid length alone is not an interesting or meaningful metric. But by analyzing the difference between flaccid and erect length, we can find out which countries are “growers” and which are “showers”.
The graphs show the percentage by which the penis is larger in an erect state compared to a flaccid state. It wouldn’t be fair to compare absolute numbers, so we use percentages.
Top 20 Countries
China has a suspiciously large difference between flaccid and erect penis length. But the data is measured and the flaccid length is from this study, so it should be reliable.
Bottom 20 Countries
Penis Sizes by Region
If we group countries by region and calculate the average length, circumference and volume per region, we get the following results.
Erect Penis Length by Region
Erect Penis Circumference by Region
Erect Penis Volume by Region
In terms of erect penis length, South America takes the first place, but the difference between South America and Africa is only marginal.
In terms of circumference, there is almost no difference between South America, Europe, Africa, North America and Oceania.
In terms of penis volume, South America and Africa take the lead.
Note that Australia and New Zealand have larger numbers than the rest of the Oceania countries, and if only these two countries were combined into one region, they would have topped both the circumference and volume charts.
Average penis size in the United States of America
The USA is one of the countries with many studies on penis size. In my research, I combined both measured and self-reported data and received the following data based on surveys and studies of more than 9000 men including, but not limited to Study 1, Study 2, Study 3, Study 4, Study 5, Study 6:
- The average erect penis length in the USA is 5.57 inches (14.15 cm), which is 0.27 inches (0.68 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average flaccid penis length in the USA is 3.75 inches (9.53 cm), which is 0.02 inches (0.05 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average erect penis circumference in the USA is 4.81 inches (12.23 cm), which is 0.16 inches (0.4 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average flaccid penis circumference in the USA is 3.82 inches (9.7 cm), which is 0.14 inches (0.36 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average erect penis volume in the USA is 10.28 inches3 (168.51 cm3), which is 1.12 inches3 (21.45 cm3) bigger than the mean.
Average penis size in the UK
Based on combined measured and self-reported data from more than 1000 men:
- The average erect penis length in the UK is 5.93 inches (15.05 cm), which is 0.69 inches (1.76 cm) bigger than mean
- The average flaccid penis length in the UK is 4.02 inches (10.2 cm), which is 0.28 inches (0.71 cm) bigger than mean
- The average erect penis circumference in the UK is 4.81 inches (12.22 cm), which is 0.16 inches (0.39 cm) bigger than mean
- The average flaccid penis circumference in the UK is 3.86 inches (9.8 cm), which is 0.21 inches (0.46 cm) bigger than mean
- The average erect penis volume in the UK is 10.91 inches3 (178.81 cm3), which is 1.74 inches3 (31.76 cm3) bigger than the mean.
Possible caveats to the results:
- There is no measured data for erect penis length; only for stretched flaccid length. The study with erect penis length is based on self-reported data. Therefore, all the data went through several adjustments. This may have caused some distortion of the data.
Average penis size in Australia
Based on adjusted self-reported data from more than 300 men:
- The average erect penis length in Australia is 5.72 inches (14.53 cm), which is 0.42 inches (1.06 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average flaccid penis length in Australia is 3.94 inches (10 cm), which is 0.2 inches (0.52 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average erect penis circumference in Australia is 5.2 inches (13.22 cm), which is 0.55 inches (1.4 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average flaccid penis circumference in Australia is 4.13 inches (10.5 cm), which is 0.47 inches (1.16 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average erect penis volume in Australia is 12.34 inches3 (202.18 cm3), which is 3.17 inches3 (55.13 cm3) bigger than the mean.
Possible caveats to the results:
- The results are based on self-reported data. Although the data have been adjusted, there may still be some inaccuracies.
Average penis size in Canada
The data on average penis size in Canada is quite limited. I didn’t find any new data and just used the data from the WorldPenisSize website, which is partly based on this study.
According to the data:
- The average erect penis length in Canada is 5.48 inches (13.92 cm), which is 0.18 inches (0.45 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average flaccid penis length in Canada is 3.74 inches (9.5 cm), which is almost equal to the mean
- The average erect penis circumference in Canada is 4.85 inches (12.32 cm), which is 0.2 inches (0.5 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average flaccid penis circumference in Canada is 3.86 inches (9.8 cm), which is 0.18 inches (0.46 cm) bigger than the mean
- The average erect penis volume in Canada is 10.27 inches3 (168.22 cm3), which is 1.1 inches3 (21.16 cm3) bigger than the mean.
Possible caveats to the results:
- The results are based on very limited data. This study is based on only 63 participants. Although the data from the WorldPenisSize website states that the number of participants is 890, the sources of the data for the remaining 827 participants are unknown.
Average Penis Size by Country. Table in inches
|Country||Flaccid length, in||Erect length, in||Flaccid circumference, in||Erect circumference, in||Volume, in³||Method||N||Sources|
|Afghanistan||3.74||5.39||3.58||4.50||8.67||Measured||100||Journal of Urology 2011|
|Albania||3.86||5.13||3.82||4.79||9.35||Self-reported||95||Journal of Sexology 2006|
|Algeria||3.90||5.19||3.50||4.32||7.71||Self-reported||738||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Angola||3.94||6.19||3.78||4.65||10.68||Measured||978||University Agostinho Neto 2001|
|Argentina||3.96||5.76||3.65||4.51||9.33||Measured/Self-reported||2469||1) Source 2, 2) Journal of Urology 2013|
|Armenia||4.13||5.17||3.39||4.24||7.41||Measured||469||Ուրոլոգիայի Առողջության Պահպանման Ծառայություն Armenia - 2015|
|Australia||3.94||5.72||4.13||5.20||12.34||Self-reported||340||1) Source 3, 2) Source 4|
|Austria||4.61||5.31||3.82||4.76||9.59||Self-reported||547||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Bahrain||3.46||4.67||3.39||4.41||7.22||Self-reported||492||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Belarus||4.41||5.59||3.58||4.48||8.93||Measured||100||1) Source 1, 2) Journal of Urology (2011)|
|Belgium||4.76||5.56||4.17||5.22||12.05||Self-reported||875||1) Source 1, 2) Universitair Ziekenhuis Antwerpen - 2015|
|Bhutan||3.19||4.02||3.27||4.06||5.27||Self-reported||147||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Bolivia||3.62||5.79||3.46||4.45||9.14||Measured||647||Sociedad Boliviana de Urología - 2015|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||4.80||5.52||3.78||4.76||9.93||Self-reported||618||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Brazil||3.90||6.21||4.02||5.11||12.94||Measured||2750||1) Source 1, 2) Source 5, 3) Pedro N. Gabrich; Juliana S. P. Vasconcelos; Ronaldo Damião; Eloísio A. da Silva 2007|
|Bulgaria||3.65||5.82||3.72||4.60||9.81||Measured||930||1) Source 1, 2) Source 6|
|Burkina Faso||4.06||5.74||3.86||4.80||10.51||Self-reported||273||1) Source 1, 2) Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Cameroon||4.17||6.02||3.90||4.84||11.22||Self-reported||421||1) Source 1, 2) African Journal of Urology 2003|
|Cape Verde||3.78||5.53||3.94||4.87||10.46||Measured||57||Source 1|
|Central African Republic||3.86||6.04||3.86||4.75||10.85||Measured||59||1) Source 1, 2) African Journal of Urology 1998|
|Chad||3.86||6.06||3.86||4.77||10.98||Measured||201||Central Hospital of N'Djaména 1989|
|Chile||3.62||5.67||3.78||4.83||10.55||Measured||789||1) Source 5, 2) Otero Andrade. Fabio. 2008 Universidad de Chile. Dpt. de Urologia.|
|China||2.56||4.81||3.15||4.13||6.55||Measured||5196||1) Source 1, 2) Source 8|
|Colombia||3.83||5.96||3.92||4.77||10.81||Measured||226||1) Source 1, 2) Source 5, 3) 18 year's old Military survey. Otero Andrade. Fabio E. y Cajigas Plata. Jaime Andrés. Bogo. 2008|
|Costa Rica||3.78||5.59||3.50||4.43||8.74||Measured||1800||1) Source 1, 2) Journal of Urology, Revised 2015|
|Cote d'Ivoire||4.09||5.99||3.90||4.83||11.13||Measured||120||Source 1|
|Croatia||4.65||5.33||4.09||5.11||11.11||Self-reported||521||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Cuba||4.33||5.52||3.78||4.78||10.03||Self-reported||289||Journal of Sexology 2002|
|Cyprus||3.27||4.79||3.50||4.56||7.94||Measured||400||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Czechia||4.45||5.43||3.66||4.59||9.09||Self-reported||1500||1) Source 1, 2) Internacionalizaci Univerzity v Praze. 2001|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||6.26||Self-reported||Source 1|
|Denmark||4.72||5.93||4.17||5.22||12.87||Measured||854||University of Copenhagen - Urological Research Center and Andrology 2015|
|Dominican Republic||4.37||5.78||3.78||4.79||10.56||Self-reported||460||Source 1|
|Ecuador||4.37||6.96||4.13||5.29||15.52||Measured||1000||1) Source 1, 2) University of Guayaquil, Ecuador- Dr. Cesar Cabezas Tamayo Guayaquil. 2013|
|Egypt||3.70||5.93||3.68||4.77||10.73||Measured||2000||1) Source 1, 2) Source 9, 3) Source 10|
|El Salvador||3.46||5.29||3.35||4.23||7.54||Measured||127||1) Source 1, 2) Centro integral de urologia, Universidad Evangélica de El Salvador, 2015|
|Ethiopia||3.62||4.89||3.86||4.80||8.95||Self-reported||89||Ethiopian Military health documention database (Extracted on 11 january 1980)|
|Finland||3.62||5.35||3.50||4.41||8.28||Measured||426||Helsinki University Central Hospital - 2015|
|France||3.64||5.28||3.74||5.37||12.10||Measured||3260||Paris National Academy of Surgery (l'Academie nationale de chirurgie) 2011|
|Gambia||4.06||5.98||3.70||4.60||10.07||Measured/Self-reported||83||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Georgia||3.70||5.28||3.62||4.51||8.55||Self-reported||97||1) Source 1, 2) Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Germany||3.44||5.69||3.75||4.76||10.24||Measured||254||1) Source 1, 2) Source 11|
|Ghana||4.33||6.25||4.06||5.04||12.62||Self-reported||233||Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR) 2001|
|Greece||3.52||5.44||3.50||4.69||9.55||Measured||579||1) Source 1, 2) Source 12|
|Greenland||3.70||5.01||3.86||4.84||9.35||Self-reported||84||Genital size survey 2012, WorldPenisSize|
|Guyana||3.66||5.33||3.43||4.36||8.07||Self-reported||133||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Haiti||4.25||5.66||3.74||4.76||10.23||Self-reported||380||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Honduras||3.39||5.22||3.43||4.35||7.87||Measured||100||1) Source 1, 2) Estudio: Datos sobre el pene , El Heraldo Junio 2015 tag/715212-213|
|Hungary||3.94||5.41||3.70||4.65||9.32||Self-reported||480||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Iceland||3.90||5.49||3.78||4.73||9.78||Self-reported||590||1) Source 1, 2) Krause. Jan Vinzenz. 2008 Institut fur Kondom Beratung|
|India||3.23||4.76||3.60||4.51||7.71||Measured||301||1) Source 1, 2) Source 14|
|Indonesia||3.35||4.22||3.58||4.64||7.23||Self-reported||2850||Universitas Indonesia. Laporan Hasil Penelitian.|
|Iraq||3.27||4.93||3.58||4.46||7.81||Measured||471||1) Source 16, 2) Issam S. Al-Azzawi - Arab Association of Urology - 2015|
|Ireland||3.43||5.03||3.98||5.00||10.00||Measured||860||NUI Galway/NUIG/UCG Ireland. 1999.|
|Israel||3.66||5.35||3.54||4.61||8.30||Measured||55||1) Source 17, 2) Sepkowitz Research. 2005|
|Japan||3.39||4.70||3.62||4.53||7.67||Measured/Self-reported||50500||1) Source 1, 2) https://www.tenga.co.jp/special/fitting2012/, 3) Dr. Nakajima. soldiers research. Japanese Journal of Sexology|
|Kazakhstan||3.66||4.86||3.58||4.46||7.72||Self-reported||15655||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Kenya||4.09||5.88||3.94||4.85||11.03||Self-reported||258||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Kiribati||3.86||5.13||3.50||4.46||8.12||Self-reported||53||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Kuwait||3.27||4.48||3.46||4.52||7.27||Measured||380||Dr. A. Kandari - Al Seef Hospital 2015|
|Laos||2.91||3.66||3.43||4.28||5.33||Self-reported||60||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Lebanon||4.21||6.08||3.78||4.88||11.51||Self-reported||279||Rafik Hariri University Hospital Researchm. 2007.|
|Mexico||3.78||5.55||3.50||4.40||8.56||Measured||477||Centro de andrologia - Universidad Veracruzano - Gerardo Ortiz - 2015|
|Moldova||3.70||4.97||3.66||4.58||8.31||Self-reported||366||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Montenegro||3.62||4.90||3.74||4.71||8.65||Self-reported||89||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Morocco||3.70||5.46||3.94||4.89||10.37||Measured||1034||Ibn Sina University Hospital Rabat - 2015|
|Nepal||2.87||3.93||3.74||4.67||6.83||Measured||437||Grande International Hospital, Health Organization/ Association 2015|
|Netherlands||3.90||6.18||4.25||5.33||14.00||Measured||2363||1) Source 1, 2) Onderzoekscentrum i.o.v. NIBI Nederland. Utrecht 2013|
|New Zealand||3.98||5.61||4.06||5.12||11.69||Measured/Self-reported||106||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Nigeria||4.12||5.52||3.50||4.86||10.40||Measured||995||1) Source 24, 2) Source 26, 3) Source 27 4) Gerofi et al.. 2000|
|North Korea||2.76||3.78||3.74||4.67||6.56||Measured||800||Military General Hospital 1956 Korean Urol J. 203|
|North Macedonia||3.74||5.50||3.78||4.71||9.73||Measured||230||Source 1|
|Norway||3.86||5.65||4.13||5.18||12.05||Measured||800||Norwegian Social Science Data Service (NSD) 2002|
|Oman||3.43||4.64||3.43||4.46||7.37||Self-reported||209||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Pakistan||3.27||4.96||3.70||4.62||8.44||Measured||570||1) Source 1, 2) Sindh Institute information 2015 Karachi Pakistan|
|Panama||4.21||5.69||3.62||4.60||9.59||Self-reported||780||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Papua New Guinea||3.90||4.92||3.58||4.47||7.83||Self-reported||79||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Paraguay||3.86||6.11||3.39||4.35||9.21||Measured||258||de Zarate G 1993|
|Peru||3.74||5.43||3.50||4.49||8.72||Measured/Self-reported||1800||1) Source 1, 2) Source 5|
|Philippines||3.11||3.92||3.35||4.34||5.88||Self-reported||650||Genital size survey 2012, WorldPenisSize|
|Poland||3.86||5.59||3.66||4.57||9.32||Measured/Self-reported||808||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Portugal||4.06||5.57||3.54||4.43||8.25||Measured/Self-reported||894||1) Source 1, 2) Source 28, 3) Krause. Jan Vinzenz. 2008 Institut fur Kondom Beratung + Statistika Centralbyran. Sweden. 2015|
|Republic of the Congo||4.33||6.48||4.06||5.02||12.97||Self-reported||157||Source 1|
|Romania||3.43||5.01||3.23||4.04||6.50||Measured||368||Mario De Siati, Oscar Selvaggio et all. 2015|
|Russia||3.78||5.45||3.70||4.62||9.25||Measured||273||1) Source 1, 2) Presidential hospital of Russia, Moscow, Russia 2015|
|Samoa||3.50||4.65||3.74||4.76||8.40||Self-reported||86||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Saudi Arabia||3.31||4.91||3.54||4.57||8.16||Measured||880||1) Source 30, 2) Dr. Mohamed Habos. Masculine Genitals Behavior and Disease Clinic 2010|
|Serbia||3.98||5.59||4.09||5.11||11.63||Measured/Self-reported||780||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Singapore||3.19||4.44||3.43||4.44||6.99||Measured||645||1) Source 1, 2) King Chien Joe Lee, Gerald B. Brock -Dept. of Urology, National University Hospital, Singapore 2015|
|Syria||3.50||4.73||3.39||4.41||7.31||Self-reported||200||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Slovakia||3.82||5.25||3.62||4.51||8.51||Self-reported||300||1) Source 1, 2) tvnoviny.sk|
|Slovenia||3.74||5.20||3.70||4.61||8.81||Self-reported||208||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Solomon Islands||3.58||4.75||3.62||4.61||8.03||Self-reported||67||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|South Africa||3.82||5.52||3.54||4.38||8.44||Self-reported||290||The South African Department of Health (Facts and Statistics)|
|South Korea||3.10||4.67||3.39||4.40||7.19||Measured||2306||1) Source 20, 2) Source 21, 3) Source 22, 4) Source 23, 5) Source 24|
|Spain||3.62||5.31||3.82||4.80||9.75||Measured/Self-reported||1282||1) Source 1, 2) Dr. Pilar Cristobal: Universida de Navarra. 2003.|
|Sri lanka||2.91||4.10||3.46||4.33||6.11||Measured||641||1) Source 1, 2) Dr. Neville D Perera - General Hospital of Colombo - 2015|
|Sudan||4.49||5.95||4.17||5.15||12.56||Self-reported||250||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Suriname||3.31||4.98||3.94||5.06||10.16||Self-reported||600||1) Source 1, 2) The PAHO/WHO Representative Paramaribo. 2004|
|Sweden||3.86||5.70||4.02||5.03||11.50||Measured/Self-reported||1000||1) Source 1, 2) Krause. Jan Vinzenz. 2008 Institut fur Kondom Beratung + Statistika Centralbyran. Sweden. 2015|
|Switzerland||3.82||5.18||4.02||5.05||10.53||Self-reported||200||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Taiwan||3.35||4.38||3.98||4.96||8.59||Self-reported||300||1) Source 1, 2) Chuang et all (2003)|
|Thailand||2.72||3.81||3.31||4.26||5.51||Measured||1800||1) Source 1, 2) Faculty of Medicine. Siriraj Hospital. Mahidol University. Bangkok. 2013|
|Tonga||3.54||4.67||3.50||4.45||7.38||Self-reported||65||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Tunisia||3.90||5.75||3.94||4.87||10.84||Measured||462||Hospital of Sahloul (Sousse-Tunisia) 2015|
|Turkey||3.57||5.94||3.43||4.41||9.18||Measured||3408||1) Source 1, 2) Source 32, 3) Source 33|
|United Arab Emirates||3.35||4.53||3.46||4.50||7.32||Self-reported||496||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Ukraine||3.82||5.31||3.86||4.83||9.89||Measured/Self-reported||175||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|United Kingdom||4.02||5.92||3.86||4.81||10.91||Measured/Self-reported||1026||1) Source 34, 2) Source 35, 3) Source 36|
|United States||3.75||5.57||3.82||4.81||10.28||Measured/Self-reported||9344||1) Source 37, 2) Source 38, 3) Source 39, 4) Source 40, 5) Source 41, 6) Source 42, 7) Source 43, 8) Source 24|
|Uruguay||3.62||5.35||3.86||4.95||10.44||Self-reported||861||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Uzbekistan||3.58||4.85||3.62||4.69||8.51||Self-reported||236||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Venezuela||4.17||6.19||4.02||5.13||12.97||Measured||4610||1) Source 1, 2) Source 5, 3) D’Empaire. Prof. Gabriel Universidad de Venezuela. 1998|
|Vietnam||3.54||4.17||3.31||4.55||6.86||Measured||14962||1) Source 1, 2) Source 44, 3) Vietnam Urology- Dr. N.B. Trieu (VUNA), Hanoi, Vietnam 2015|
Average Penis Size by Country. Table in cm
|Country||Flaccid length, cm||Erect length, cm||Flaccid circumference, cm||Erect circumference, cm||Volume, cm³||Method||N||Sources|
|Afghanistan||9.5||13.69||9.1||11.42||142.15||Measured||100||Journal of Urology 2011|
|Albania||9.8||13.02||9.7||12.16||153.26||Self-reported||95||Journal of Sexology 2006|
|Algeria||9.9||13.18||8.9||10.97||126.28||Self-reported||738||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Angola||10||15.73||9.6||11.82||174.97||Measured||978||University Agostinho Neto 2001|
|Argentina||10.05||14.64||9.28||11.45||152.81||Measured/Self-reported||2469||1) Source 2, 2) Journal of Urology 2013|
|Armenia||10.5||13.12||8.6||10.78||121.39||Measured||469||Ուրոլոգիայի Առողջության Պահպանման Ծառայություն Armenia - 2015|
|Australia||10||14.53||10.5||13.22||202.18||Self-reported||340||1) Source 3, 2) Source 4|
|Austria||11.7||13.48||9.7||12.1||157.10||Self-reported||547||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Bahrain||8.8||11.86||8.6||11.19||118.26||Self-reported||492||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Belarus||11.2||14.2||9.1||11.38||146.41||Measured||100||1) Source 1, 2) Journal of Urology (2011)|
|Belgium||12.1||14.11||10.6||13.26||197.53||Self-reported||875||1) Source 1, 2) Universitair Ziekenhuis Antwerpen - 2015|
|Bhutan||8.1||10.20||8.3||10.31||86.34||Self-reported||147||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Bolivia||9.2||14.7||8.8||11.31||149.71||Measured||647||Sociedad Boliviana de Urología - 2015|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||12.2||14.01||9.6||12.08||162.76||Self-reported||618||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Brazil||9.9||15.78||10.2||12.99||212.00||Measured||2750||1) Source 1, 2) Source 5, 3) Pedro N. Gabrich; Juliana S. P. Vasconcelos; Ronaldo Damião; Eloísio A. da Silva 2007|
|Bulgaria||9.27||14.78||9.45||11.69||160.81||Measured||930||1) Source 1, 2) Source 6|
|Burkina Faso||10.3||14.58||9.8||12.18||172.19||Self-reported||273||1) Source 1, 2) Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Cameroon||10.6||15.29||9.9||12.29||183.92||Self-reported||421||1) Source 1, 2) African Journal of Urology 2003|
|Cape Verde||9.6||14.05||10||12.38||171.45||Measured||57||Source 1|
|Central African Republic||9.8||15.33||9.8||12.07||177.81||Measured||59||1) Source 1, 2) African Journal of Urology 1998|
|Chad||9.8||15.39||9.8||12.12||179.99||Measured||201||Central Hospital of N'Djaména 1989|
|Chile||9.2||14.4||9.6||12.28||172.89||Measured||789||1) Source 5, 2) Otero Andrade. Fabio. 2008 Universidad de Chile. Dpt. de Urologia.|
|China||6.5||12.23||8||10.5||107.35||Measured||5196||1) Source 1, 2) Source 8|
|Colombia||9.74||15.15||9.95||12.12||177.19||Measured||226||1) Source 1, 2) Source 5, 3) 18 year's old Military survey. Otero Andrade. Fabio E. y Cajigas Plata. Jaime Andrés. Bogo. 2008|
|Costa Rica||9.6||14.21||8.9||11.25||143.19||Measured||1800||1) Source 1, 2) Journal of Urology, Revised 2015|
|Cote d'Ivoire||10.4||15.22||9.9||12.27||182.44||Measured||120||Source 1|
|Croatia||11.8||13.55||10.4||12.99||182.05||Self-reported||521||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Cuba||11||14.03||9.6||12.13||164.33||Self-reported||289||Journal of Sexology 2002|
|Cyprus||8.3||12.17||8.9||11.59||130.16||Measured||400||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Czechia||11.3||13.79||9.3||11.65||149.01||Self-reported||1500||1) Source 1, 2) Internacionalizaci Univerzity v Praze. 2001|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||15.90||Self-reported||Source 1|
|Denmark||12||15.07||10.6||13.26||210.97||Measured||854||University of Copenhagen - Urological Research Center and Andrology 2015|
|Dominican Republic||11.1||14.67||9.6||12.17||172.99||Self-reported||460||Source 1|
|Ecuador||11.1||17.68||10.5||13.44||254.27||Measured||1000||1) Source 1, 2) University of Guayaquil, Ecuador- Dr. Cesar Cabezas Tamayo Guayaquil. 2013|
|Egypt||9.4||15.07||9.35||12.11||175.91||Measured||2000||1) Source 1, 2) Source 9, 3) Source 10|
|El Salvador||8.8||13.43||8.5||10.75||123.57||Measured||127||1) Source 1, 2) Centro integral de urologia, Universidad Evangélica de El Salvador, 2015|
|Ethiopia||9.2||12.41||9.8||12.18||146.61||Self-reported||89||Ethiopian Military health documention database (Extracted on 11 january 1980)|
|Finland||9.2||13.59||8.9||11.2||135.73||Measured||426||Helsinki University Central Hospital - 2015|
|France||9.25||13.4||9.5||13.63||198.20||Measured||3260||Paris National Academy of Surgery (l'Academie nationale de chirurgie) 2011|
|Gambia||10.3||15.20||9.4||11.68||165.10||Measured/Self-reported||83||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Georgia||9.4||13.40||9.2||11.46||140.11||Self-reported||97||1) Source 1, 2) Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Germany||8.74||14.44||9.52||12.08||167.77||Measured||254||1) Source 1, 2) Source 11|
|Ghana||11||15.88||10.3||12.79||206.83||Self-reported||233||Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR) 2001|
|Greece||8.95||13.83||8.89||11.92||156.45||Measured||579||1) Source 1, 2) Source 12|
|Greenland||9.4||12.72||9.8||12.3||153.27||Self-reported||84||Genital size survey 2012, WorldPenisSize|
|Guyana||9.3||13.53||8.7||11.08||132.27||Self-reported||133||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Haiti||10.8||14.38||9.5||12.1||167.58||Self-reported||380||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Honduras||8.6||13.27||8.7||11.05||129.00||Measured||100||1) Source 1, 2) Estudio: Datos sobre el pene , El Heraldo Junio 2015 tag/715212-213|
|Hungary||10||13.75||9.4||11.81||152.69||Self-reported||480||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Iceland||9.9||13.95||9.6||12.01||160.20||Self-reported||590||1) Source 1, 2) Krause. Jan Vinzenz. 2008 Institut fur Kondom Beratung|
|India||8.21||12.09||9.14||11.46||126.42||Measured||301||1) Source 1, 2) Source 14|
|Indonesia||8.5||10.71||9.1||11.79||118.49||Self-reported||2850||Universitas Indonesia. Laporan Hasil Penelitian.|
|Iraq||8.3||12.53||9.1||11.33||128.06||Measured||471||1) Source 16, 2) Issam S. Al-Azzawi - Arab Association of Urology - 2015|
|Ireland||8.7||12.78||10.1||12.69||163.86||Measured||860||NUI Galway/NUIG/UCG Ireland. 1999.|
|Israel||9.3||13.60||9||11.7||148.22||Measured||55||1) Source 17, 2) Sepkowitz Research. 2005|
|Japan||8.6||11.93||9.2||11.5||125.62||Measured/Self-reported||50500||1) Source 1, 2) https://www.tenga.co.jp/special/fitting2012/, 3) Dr. Nakajima. soldiers research. Japanese Journal of Sexology|
|Kazakhstan||9.3||12.35||9.1||11.34||126.43||Self-reported||15655||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Kenya||10.4||14.94||10||12.33||180.79||Self-reported||258||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Kiribati||9.8||13.02||8.9||11.33||133.05||Self-reported||53||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Kuwait||8.3||11.38||8.8||11.47||119.20||Measured||380||Dr. A. Kandari - Al Seef Hospital 2015|
|Laos||7.4||9.30||8.7||10.86||87.35||Self-reported||60||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Lebanon||10.7||15.43||9.6||12.39||188.60||Self-reported||279||Rafik Hariri University Hospital Researchm. 2007.|
|Mexico||9.6||14.09||8.9||11.18||140.22||Measured||477||Centro de andrologia - Universidad Veracruzano - Gerardo Ortiz - 2015|
|Moldova||9.4||12.62||9.3||11.64||136.18||Self-reported||366||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Montenegro||9.2||12.44||9.5||11.96||141.68||Self-reported||89||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Morocco||9.4||13.86||10||12.41||169.95||Measured||1034||Ibn Sina University Hospital Rabat - 2015|
|Nepal||7.3||9.98||9.5||11.87||111.95||Measured||437||Grande International Hospital, Health Organization/ Association 2015|
|Netherlands||9.9||15.69||10.8||13.55||229.36||Measured||2363||1) Source 1, 2) Onderzoekscentrum i.o.v. NIBI Nederland. Utrecht 2013|
|New Zealand||10.1||14.24||10.3||13||191.61||Measured/Self-reported||106||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Nigeria||10.47||14.03||8.89||12.35||170.37||Measured||995||1) Source 24, 2) Source 26, 3) Source 27 4) Gerofi et al.. 2000|
|North Korea||7||9.6||9.5||11.86||107.51||Measured||800||Military General Hospital 1956 Korean Urol J. 203|
|North Macedonia||9.5||13.98||9.6||11.97||159.48||Measured||230||Source 1|
|Norway||9.8||14.34||10.5||13.15||197.43||Measured||800||Norwegian Social Science Data Service (NSD) 2002|
|Oman||8.7||11.79||8.7||11.34||120.70||Self-reported||209||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Pakistan||8.3||12.6||9.4||11.74||138.27||Measured||570||1) Source 1, 2) Sindh Institute information 2015 Karachi Pakistan|
|Panama||10.7||14.45||9.2||11.69||157.22||Self-reported||780||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Papua New Guinea||9.9||12.50||9.1||11.36||128.39||Self-reported||79||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Paraguay||9.8||15.53||8.6||11.05||150.98||Measured||258||de Zarate G 1993|
|Peru||9.5||13.79||8.9||11.41||142.94||Measured/Self-reported||1800||1) Source 1, 2) Source 5|
|Philippines||7.9||9.95||8.5||11.03||96.42||Self-reported||650||Genital size survey 2012, WorldPenisSize|
|Poland||9.8||14.21||9.3||11.62||152.76||Measured/Self-reported||808||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Portugal||10.3||14.14||9||11.26||142.74||Measured/Self-reported||894||1) Source 1, 2) Source 28, 3) Krause. Jan Vinzenz. 2008 Institut fur Kondom Beratung + Statistika Centralbyran. Sweden. 2015|
|Republic of the Congo||11||16.45||10.3||12.74||212.57||Self-reported||157||Source 1|
|Romania||8.7||12.73||8.2||10.25||106.48||Measured||368||Mario De Siati, Oscar Selvaggio et all. 2015|
|Russia||9.6||13.84||9.4||11.73||151.62||Measured||273||1) Source 1, 2) Presidential hospital of Russia, Moscow, Russia 2015|
|Samoa||8.9||11.81||9.5||12.1||137.64||Self-reported||86||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Saudi Arabia||8.4||12.46||9||11.61||133.72||Measured||880||1) Source 30, 2) Dr. Mohamed Habos. Masculine Genitals Behavior and Disease Clinic 2010|
|Serbia||10.1||14.21||10.4||12.98||190.61||Measured/Self-reported||780||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Singapore||8.1||11.28||8.7||11.29||114.47||Measured||645||1) Source 1, 2) King Chien Joe Lee, Gerald B. Brock -Dept. of Urology, National University Hospital, Singapore 2015|
|Syria||8.9||12.02||8.6||11.19||119.82||Self-reported||200||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Slovakia||9.7||13.33||9.2||11.46||139.38||Self-reported||300||1) Source 1, 2) tvnoviny.sk|
|Slovenia||9.5||13.20||9.4||11.72||144.36||Self-reported||208||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Solomon Islands||9.1||12.06||9.2||11.71||131.61||Self-reported||67||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|South Africa||9.7||14.03||9||11.13||138.35||Self-reported||290||The South African Department of Health (Facts and Statistics)|
|South Korea||7.87||11.86||8.62||11.17||117.82||Measured||2306||1) Source 20, 2) Source 21, 3) Source 22, 4) Source 23, 5) Source 24|
|Spain||9.2||13.50||9.7||12.19||159.72||Measured/Self-reported||1282||1) Source 1, 2) Dr. Pilar Cristobal: Universida de Navarra. 2003.|
|Sri lanka||7.4||10.42||8.8||10.99||100.20||Measured||641||1) Source 1, 2) Dr. Neville D Perera - General Hospital of Colombo - 2015|
|Sudan||11.4||15.11||10.6||13.08||205.82||Self-reported||250||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Suriname||8.4||12.65||10||12.86||166.56||Self-reported||600||1) Source 1, 2) The PAHO/WHO Representative Paramaribo. 2004|
|Sweden||9.8||14.49||10.2||12.78||188.43||Measured/Self-reported||1000||1) Source 1, 2) Krause. Jan Vinzenz. 2008 Institut fur Kondom Beratung + Statistika Centralbyran. Sweden. 2015|
|Switzerland||9.7||13.17||10.2||12.83||172.54||Self-reported||200||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Taiwan||8.5||11.12||10.1||12.61||140.78||Self-reported||300||1) Source 1, 2) Chuang et all (2003)|
|Thailand||6.9||9.67||8.4||10.83||90.30||Measured||1800||1) Source 1, 2) Faculty of Medicine. Siriraj Hospital. Mahidol University. Bangkok. 2013|
|Tonga||9||11.87||8.9||11.31||120.90||Self-reported||65||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Tunisia||9.9||14.61||10||12.36||177.70||Measured||462||Hospital of Sahloul (Sousse-Tunisia) 2015|
|Turkey||9.06||15.09||8.7||11.19||150.44||Measured||3408||1) Source 1, 2) Source 32, 3) Source 33|
|United Arab Emirates||8.5||11.50||8.8||11.44||119.88||Self-reported||496||surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Ukraine||9.7||13.50||9.8||12.28||162.08||Measured/Self-reported||175||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|United Kingdom||10.2||15.04||9.8||12.22||178.81||Measured/Self-reported||1024||1) Source 34, 2) Source 35, 3) Source 36|
|United States||9.53||14.15||9.7||12.23||168.51||Measured/Self-reported||9344||1) Source 37, 2) Source 38, 3) Source 39, 4) Source 40, 5) Source 41, 6) Source 42, 7) Source 43, 8) Source 24|
|Uruguay||9.2||13.60||9.8||12.57||171.09||Self-reported||861||1) Source 1, 2) surveymonkey.com - 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Uzbekistan||9.1||12.32||9.2||11.92||139.38||Self-reported||236||Genital size survey 2015, WorldPenisSize|
|Venezuela||10.6||15.72||10.2||13.03||212.50||Measured||4610||1) Source 1, 2) Source 5, 3) D’Empaire. Prof. Gabriel Universidad de Venezuela. 1998|
|Vietnam||8.99||10.59||8.4||11.55||112.48||Measured||14962||1) Source 1, 2) Source 44, 3) Vietnam Urology- Dr. N.B. Trieu (VUNA), Hanoi, Vietnam 2015|
What’s the world’s biggest penis?
Talking about countries, we already know that Ecuadorians have the biggest penises on average. But when we talk about individuals, there are two men who claim to have the biggest penis in the world? Why just claim? Because the actual size hasn’t been verified by any documented measurements.
The first man is Jonah Falcon from the USA. He claims his penis is 34.3 cm (13.5 in) long and 20.3 cm (8 in) in circumference. To get an idea of how big this is, imagine a standard 750ml bottle of wine, which is 30 cm (11.8 in) long and 23.55 cm (9.27 in) in circumference. So Jonah Falcon’s penis is slightly longer and slightly thinner than a bottle of wine.
Although Jonah Falcon does have a massive penis, and it’s believed to be the largest in the world, it hasn’t been measured by an independent party.
The second man who claims to have the biggest penis in the world is Roberto Esquivel Cabrera from Mexico. He claims his penis is 48 cm (18.9 in) long and 25 cm (10 in) in circumference.
The problem here is that Roberto gained this length by manually strengthening his penis for decades. While natural penis enlargement does exist and many men claim to have increased their penis size using it, Roberto went to extremes and lost some of the natural properties of his penis. Moreover, his penis was X-rayed and found to be actually around 15 cm (6 in) long, with the remaining 33cm of length being just the excess skin.
So, overall, there is no data on the largest fully-functioning penis that has been measured by independent researchers. Maybe one of you reading this article has the biggest penis in the world. Who knows?
What’s the world’s smallest penis?
According to my research, Myanmar men on average have the smallest penis in terms of length and total volume.
As for the individual measurements, some sources claim that the smallest penis belongs to Mike Carson from Florida at 0.16 cm (0.0625 in) and that this has been confirmed by Guinness World Records, but I haven’t been able to find any proof of this.
Other sources state that the smallest penis is 0.99 cm (0.39 in) and that this was actually measured in a study of micropenises.
Does Height, Weight, Hands and Feet Size Correlate with Penis Size?
There have been a few studies on the subject, like this one, or this one, and no convincing evidence has been found that height, weight, and hand and foot size correlate with penis size. In fact, going back to our data, despite having the biggest penises, Ecuadorian men are relatively short at an average of 167.1 cm (5 ft 6 in). But, to be transparent here, some researches do claim to find a correlation between height, weight and penis size, but this data is not for erect penis size as far as I understand.
There is actually one body part that correlates with penis size. This part is the nose. There have been several studies that have concluded that nose size is a good predictor of penis size. Here is the first study on the subject, and here is the second one.
What’s the ideal penis size, or what size penis do women prefer?
You may have thought the bigger the better, but that’s not the case with penis size. Big penises look great, but may not be perfect for everyday life.
There is a great research on this matter. Researchers printed penises of different sizes on a 3D printer and asked women to choose the size they preferred. The results of this research are as follows:
- For a one-time encounter, women prefer penises that are 16.3 cm (6.4 in) in length and 12.7 cm (5.0 in) in circumference
- For long-term relationships, the ideal penis is 16 cm (6.3 in) in length and 12.2 cm (4.8 in) in circumference
Yes, they’re still bigger than the average, but you can see that 20 cm isn’t what women really want. And the results are much closer to the world average than to 20 cm. Also, the preferred penis girth is only slightly larger than the world average, 12.2 cm (4.8 in) vs. 11.83 cm (4.66 in).
Does Penis Size Matter?
Of course, penis size is important, but not in the way you’re used to thinking about it. The most important thing is how happy you and your partner are with the size of the penis. Nothing else matters.
There is also a condition called “micropenis”. This term is considered when the stretched penile length is less than 2.5 standard deviations below the average. The average varies from country to country.
Only 0.6% of the male population is affected by micropenis, so it’s very rare and even if you think you have a small penis, it’s unlikely that you have a micropenis.
Also, while many men think that a big penis is a blessing, men with very large penises actually have problems finding long-term partners along with other issues caused by big penis size.
Unless you fall into the very small percentile of extremely small or extremely large penises, you shouldn’t worry about the size.
How To Properly Measure The Size Of Your Penis
If you’re curious to compare yourself with the data from this research, you need to know how to measure your penis properly.
Measuring the length of your penis is very easy. You can use either a standard or soft tape measure. Simply measure your penis from the tip of the head to your pubic area. It is very important not to press too hard against your pubic area.
To measure the circumference of your penis, you’ll need either a soft tape measure or a non-elastic string and a marker.
In the case of a soft tape measure, you simply wrap it around the shaft of your penis and voila, you now know the circumference.
If you don’t have a soft tape measure, take the string and gently wrap it around your penis. Mark the part of the string where the ends meet. Then measure the length of the string with a tape measure.
Where does the data come from?
The basis of the data I’ve used comes from a website that unfortunately no longer exists. It was located at everyoneweb.com/worldpenissize. Although it’s no longer available, you can access it via the web archive.
It’s not just me who uses this data, but probably 99% of all similar articles on the internet. But I’ve actually tried to update, revise and adjust it to make sure it’s up to date and to eliminate errors.
I also spent dozens of hours researching the new data available for each country. In total, I spent more than 100 hours researching and writing this article.
Common misconceptions and errors you may see in other articles about average penis size
The majority of articles on the internet that try to compare average penis size by country contain several fallacies.
- The fact that some data is self-reported is ignored. Some don’t even tell you where they got the data from, but even when they do, they compare self-reported data and data that is actually measured, as if these sources of data were equal. They are not equal. We’ll discuss this and the adjustment I made a little bit later.
- The stretched flaccid penis length is used as if it were the length of the erect penis. There is a very obvious reason why it is sometimes difficult to get measurements of the erect penis in the laboratory. That’s why scientists often use stretched flaccid penis length as a measurement. But it’s important to understand that stretched flaccid penis length is not the same as erect penis length. We’ll discuss this and the adjustments I’ve made.
- Very limited number of respondents. In some cases, the data is based on fewer than 50 men. This reduces the reliability of the data. Some countries in this article also have a very small number of participants.
- A huge number of articles use the data from this BJU International study. While there is nothing wrong with the study itself (it is a good study and I also use its data), there is often a misinterpretation of the data. It often goes something like this: “According to a BJU study of 15,521 men, the average erect penis length is 13.12 cm”. That’s what I call a poor choice of words. In fact, the erect penis length data is based on 691 men, 301 of whom are from India, which is on the smaller end of the penis size spectrum. So again, there’s nothing wrong with the study, but I personally don’t think that 13.12 cm should be considered the average erect penis size worldwide.
Adjustments I have made to the data
Here I’ll describe some of the adjustments I made to the data I collected. Most of the adjustments were made to the length of the erect penis.
Collecting new data and updating existing data sources
First, I went through all the countries and tried to find more recent research and data to add to the dataset. This included searching PubMed, Taylor & Francis Online, ResearchGate and others. I also tried to find sources for existing data where the link to the original data source was missing. In this way, I’ve either updated or expanded about 15-30% of the data (when I say % of data, in most cases it’s just erect penis length data).
Adjusting the flaccid stretched length
As I mentioned earlier, many studies only report the stretched flaccid penis length. This isn’t a problem in itself. The problem is that many articles on the internet use this data as if it were the erect penis length and don’t inform the reader.
The possible reasons for that are:
a) The authors of the articles don’t really care and have only done shallow research.
b) It’s based on Chinese research by Chen XB. Li RX. Yang HN. Dai JC. 2014. According to this study of 5196 Chinese men, the stretched flaccid penis length and the erect penis length are both 12.9 cm.
How reliable is the data from this study? Overall, I think it’s reliable enough, BUT it can’t be used to conclude that the stretched flaccid penis length is always equal to the erect penis length.
To check this, I selected the countries from our dataset that have MEASURED data on both the stretched flaccid penis length and the erect penis length. See the table:
Stretched vs Erect Penis Length (cm)
|Country||Stretched||Erect||Difference in mm||Difference in %||N|
According to this data, the erect penis length is on average 9.8% greater than the stretched flaccid penis length. So, in cases where only stretched length was available, I increased it by 9.8% to get an approximate possible erect length.
For countries where there were several studies, I calculated weighted averages according to the number of men in each study. I also didn’t use self-reported data.
Using this data, I then calculated the weighted average again to find the average percentage difference between the stretched and erect lengths.
PLEASE NOTE: I’m not a scientist and this isn’t a science article, so I didn’t go into too much detail and I didn’t calculate standard deviations or statistical significance or whatever. Even if I’m wrong, it would only affect a relatively small subset of the data in the table (about 4% of the erect penis length data). I can also provide the raw data I used, so you can calculate everything yourself if you like.
Also, just out of curiosity, I took my own measurements of stretched flaccid and erect length and my results were also close to a 10% difference.
Adjustment of self-reported data
The biggest fallacy in most articles about penis size by country is that self-reported data is treated the same as measured data. The articles also often fail to mention that the data is self-reported.
Why is this a problem?
People often tend to exaggerate, especially on such a sensitive subject. This is why self-reported sizes are usually larger than measured sizes. Even scientific research can have biased data because people with bigger penises are more likely to take part in such studies. Imagine what happens with self-reported data.
This is one of the reasons you’ve probably heard that an average erect penis is around 6” (15 cm). This data came from the first penis size study conducted by Dr. Alfred C. Kinsey. Because the data was self-reported by the men, the results were greatly exaggerated.
But how much do people exaggerate their penis size?
During my research, I saw somewhere that self-reported numbers on penis length are on average 6-11% higher than they are in reality. Unfortunately, I can’t remember where I saw this, but just in case, I decided to double-check using the data available.
There is also research that analyzes the discrepancy between measured and self-reported penis size. You can check it out here. There is a chance that I saw these numbers in one of the references of this study, but I’m not going to read 84 sources from this study again, sorry. But let me know in case you find this data somewhere!
Anyway, I wanted to double-check this data and decided to calculate it myself.
Measured vs Self-reported Penis Length (cm)
|Country||Measured||Self-reported||Difference in mm||Difference in %||N|
|Weighted average (no Japan)||13.51||14.92||1.41||10.41|
|Weighted average (short. no Japan)||13.55||14.83||1.28||9.42|
* For Iran, Iraq and Italy, erect length was calculated based on stretched length.
** ’Short’ means calculations without Iran, Iraq and Italy.
I picked the countries that have both measured and self-reported data and calculated the differences between measured and self-reported length. Then I tried to calculate the average for this data subset in several ways (average and weighted average, with Iran, Iraq and Italy and without them). The methods are not perfect and are prone to errors, but still, I got an 8.3-10.4% difference. So, I suppose the data about 6-11% is true.
Overall, I have adjusted all available self-reported data by 9% to make the data more consistent (i.e. I have decreased self-reported numbers).
This adjustment has a big impact on the final data, as almost 50% of all data is self-reported. But, keep in mind, I updated ONLY ERECT PENIS LENGTH data.
Did I always use the new data I got from the adjustments? No. In some cases, the available data was suspicious and didn’t seem reliable enough. For example, when the self-reported length was shorter than the measured length. But this only affected a few numbers and didn’t affect the overall picture.
A few more things about how I adjusted the data
- If the country has several data sources and all are measured, I calculated the weighted average. If one of the data sources doesn’t have a number of participants, I’ve assumed that it’s 50% of the available research and calculated a weighted average. The reason for the 50% is that I want to take this data into account, but at the same time, it’s unfair to treat it the same as the more detailed and trustworthy data source.
- If the country has several data sources and they all are self-reported, I adjusted the self-reported data by 9% and then calculated a weighted average. If one of the data sources doesn’t have a number of participants, I assumed that it was 50% of the available self-reported data that had a number of participants and calculated a weighted average. The reason for the 50% is again that I want to take this data into account, but it’s unfair to treat it the same as the more detailed data.
- If the country has both measured and self-reported data, priority is given to measured data. There are only a few exceptions to this, due to a strange discrepancy between measured and self-reported data, for example, if the self-reported results are significantly smaller than in measured data. So, in some cases, I have combined measured and self-reported data. It’s not the best way, but there’s really no best way. This doesn’t affect the overall picture very much (about 8% of the data on erect penis length), so don’t worry about it.
In conclusion, the vast majority of men are perfectly normal and don’t need to worry about their penis size. Even if the size is a little below or a little above average. Love yourself and love your penis.
1. Lynn, R. An examination of Rushton’s theory of differences in penis length and circumference and r-K life history theory in 113 populations. Personality and Individual Differences (2012), DOI: 10.1016/j.paid.2012.02.016
2. Solé M, González IT, Compagnucci M, Colucci G, Dalvit M, Chiconi B, Layús OA, Gueglio G, Rey-Valzacchi G. Reference penile size measurement and correlation with other anthropometric dimensions: a prospective study in 800 men. Asian J Androl. 2022 Nov-Dec;24(6):620-623. doi: 10.4103/aja2021121. PMID: 35381693; PMCID: PMC9809495.
3. Smith AM, Jolley D, Hocking J, Benton K, Gerofi J. Does penis size influence condom slippage and breakage? Int J STD AIDS. 1998 Aug;9(8):444-7. doi: 10.1258/0956462981922593. PMID: 9702591.
4. Richters, Juliet & Gerofi, John & Donovan, Basil. (1995). Are condoms the right size? A method for self-measurement of the erect penis. Venereology: official publication of the National Venereology Council of Australia. 8. 77-81.
5. Andrade, Fabio & Plata, Jaime. (2008). Variabilidad de las medidas antropométricas del pene en hombres mayores de 18 años en una población usuaria del Hospital Militar Central. Urología colombiana, ISSN 0120-789X, Vol. 17, Vol. 2, 2008. 17.
6. Tomova A, Deepinder F, Robeva R, Lalabonova H, Kumanov P, Agarwal A. Growth and Development of Male External Genitalia: A Cross-sectional Study of 6200 Males Aged 0 to 19 Years. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2010;164(12):1152–1157. doi:10.1001/archpediatrics.2010.223
7. Siminoski, K., & Bain, J. (1993). The Relationships Among Height, Penile Length, and Foot Size. Annals of Sex Research, 6(3), 231–235. https://doi.org/10.1177/107906329300600305
8. Chen XB, Li RX, Yang HN, Dai JC. A comprehensive, prospective study of penile dimensions in Chinese men of multiple ethnicities. Int J Impot Res. 2014 Sep-Oct;26(5):172-6. doi: 10.1038/ijir.2014.9. Epub 2014 Apr 3. PMID: 24784891.
9. Shalaby ME, Almohsen AE, El Shahid AR, Abd Al-Sameaa MT, Mostafa T. Penile length-somatometric parameters relationship in healthy Egyptian men. Andrologia. 2015 May;47(4):402-6. doi: 10.1111/and.12275. Epub 2014 Apr 2. Erratum in: Andrologia. 2016 Nov;48(9):986. PMID: 24698122.
10. Kamel I, Gadalla A, Ghanem H, Oraby M. Comparing penile measurements in normal and erectile dysfunction subjects. J Sex Med. 2009 Aug;6(8):2305-10. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2009.01305.x. Epub 2009 May 5. PMID: 19453888.
11. Schneider T, Sperling H, Lümmen G, Syllwasschy J, Rübben H. Does penile size in younger men cause problems in condom use? a prospective measurement of penile dimensions in 111 young and 32 older men. Urology. 2001 Feb;57(2):314-8. doi: 10.1016/s0090-4295(00)00925-0. PMID: 11182344.
12. Spyropoulos E, Borousas D, Mavrikos S, Dellis A, Bourounis M, Athanasiadis S. Size of external genital organs and somatometric parameters among physically normal men younger than 40 years old. Urology. 2002 Sep;60(3):485-9; discussion 490-1. doi: 10.1016/s0090-4295(02)01869-1. PMID: 12350491.
13. EA. Granados-Loarcaa, RE. Quezada-Ochoaa, M. Garcíaa, C. Roblesa. Longitud y grosor del pene. July 2005. Servicio de Urología. Hospital General de Enfermedades. Zona 9. Instituto Guatemalteco de Seguridad Social. Guatemala. DOI: 10.1016/S1698-031X(05)73256-8
14. Promodu K, Shanmughadas KV, Bhat S, Nair KR. Penile length and circumference: an Indian study. Int J Impot Res. 2007 Nov-Dec;19(6):558-63. doi: 10.1038/sj.ijir.3901569. Epub 2007 Jun 14. PMID: 17568760.
15. Mehraban D, Salehi M, Zayeri F. Penile size and somatometric parameters among Iranian normal adult men. Int J Impot Res. 2007 May-Jun;19(3):303-9. doi: 10.1038/sj.ijir.3901532. Epub 2006 Dec 7. PMID: 17151695.
16. Hussein NS, Abid AF, Alnuaimi AS. Reference range of flaccid and stretched penile lengths of adult males in Baghdad: A cross-sectional study. Arab J Urol. 2017 Jan 28;15(1):68-73. doi: 10.1016/j.aju.2017.01.001. PMID: 28275522; PMCID: PMC5329721.
17. Chen J, Gefen A, Greenstein A, Matzkin H, Elad D. Predicting penile size during erection. Int J Impot Res. 2000 Dec;12(6):328-33. doi: 10.1038/sj.ijir.3900627. PMID: 11416836.
18. Ponchietti R, Mondaini N, Bonafè M, Di Loro F, Biscioni S, Masieri L. Penile length and circumference: a study on 3,300 young Italian males. Eur Urol. 2001 Feb;39(2):183-6. doi: 10.1159/000052434. PMID: 11223678.
19. Awwad Z, Abu-Hijleh M, Basri S, Shegam N, Murshidi M, Ajlouni K. Penile measurements in normal adult Jordanians and in patients with erectile dysfunction. Int J Impot Res. 2005 Mar-Apr;17(2):191-5. doi: 10.1038/sj.ijir.3901272. PMID: 15510185.
20. Son H, Lee H, Huh JS, Kim SW, Paick JS. Studies on self-esteem of penile size in young Korean military men. Asian J Androl. 2003 Sep;5(3):185-9. PMID: 12937799.
21. Kwanjin PARK; Soo-Woong KIM; Hae-Won LEE; Eun-Sik LEE; Chong-Wook LEE; Si-Whang KIM; Jae-Seung PAICK. Penile Nomogram in Korean Males. Korean Journal of Andrology ; : 153-158, 1998.
22. Chung KM. A Study on the Penile Size of Korea men. Korean J Urol. 1971;12(4):401-404.
23. Jong Seon Yoon, Gil Ho Lee, Dae Soo Chang. The relationship between height and body weight and penile size in university students. Department of Urology, Chosun University, Kwangju, Korea, 1998
24. Veale D, Miles S, Bramley S, Muir G, Hodsoll J. Am I normal? A systematic review and construction of nomograms for flaccid and erect penis length and circumference in up to 15,521 men. BJU Int. 2015 Jun;115(6):978-86. doi: 10.1111/bju.13010. Epub 2015 Mar 2. PMID: 25487360.
26. Orakwe JC, Ogbuagu BO, Ebuh GU. Can physique and gluteal size predict penile length in adult Nigerian men? West Afr J Med. 2006 Jul-Sep;25(3):223-5. doi: 10.4314/wajm.v25i3.28282. PMID: 17191423.
27. Takure AO. Penile length of men attending urology outpatient clinic in Southwest Nigeria. Pan Afr Med J. 2021 Jun 29;39:155. doi: 10.11604/pamj.2021.39.155.21733. PMID: 34539952; PMCID: PMC8434794.
28. Nuno Monteiro Pereiraa. Estudo do tamanho do pénis na população portuguesa. Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias, Lisboa. 2004
29. Shamsodini A, Al-Ansari AA, Talib RA, Alkhafaji HM, Shokeir AA, Toth C. Complications of penile augmentation by use of nonmedical industrial silicone. J Sex Med. 2012 Dec;9(12):3279-83. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2011.02563.x. Epub 2011 Dec 6. PMID: 22145947.
30. Habous M, Tealab A, Williamson B, Binsaleh S, El Dawy S, Mahmoud S, Abdelwahab O, Nassar M, Mulhall JP, Veale D, Muir G. Erect penile dimensions in a cohort of 778 Middle Eastern men: establishment of a nomogram. J Sex Med. 2015 Jun;12(6):1402-6. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12894. Epub 2015 Apr 22. PMID: 25904106.
31. Chrouser K, Bazant E, Jin L, Kileo B, Plotkin M, Adamu T, Curran K, Koshuma S. Penile measurements in Tanzanian males: guiding circumcision device design and supply forecasting. J Urol. 2013 Aug;190(2):544-50. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2013.02.3200. Epub 2013 Mar 7. PMID: 23473900.
32. Söylemez H, Atar M, Sancaktutar AA, Penbegül N, Bozkurt Y, Onem K. Relationship between penile size and somatometric parameters in 2276 healthy young men. Int J Impot Res. 2012 May-Jun;24(3):126-9. doi: 10.1038/ijir.2011.53. Epub 2011 Dec 22. PMID: 22189447.
33. Aslan Y, Atan A, Omur Aydın A, Nalçacıoğlu V, Tuncel A, Kadıoğlu A. Penile length and somatometric parameters: a study in healthy young Turkish men. Asian J Androl. 2011 Mar;13(2):339-41. doi: 10.1038/aja.2010.109. Epub 2010 Dec 13. PMID: 21151155; PMCID: PMC3739181.
34. Khan S, Somani B, Lam W, Donat R. Establishing a reference range for penile length in Caucasian British men: a prospective study of 609 men. BJU Int. 2012 Mar;109(5):740-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2011.10338.x. Epub 2011 Jun 28. PMID: 21711435.
35. Shah J, Christopher N. Can shoe size predict penile length? BJU Int. 2002 Oct;90(6):586-7. doi: 10.1046/j.1464-410x.2002.02974.x. PMID: 12230622.
36. Harding R, Golombok SE. Test-retest reliability of the measurement of penile dimensions in a sample of gay men. Arch Sex Behav. 2002 Aug;31(4):351-7. doi: 10.1023/a:1016276310371. PMID: 12187548.
37. Herbenick D, Reece M, Schick V, Sanders SA. Erect penile length and circumference dimensions of 1,661 sexually active men in the United States. J Sex Med. 2014 Jan;11(1):93-101. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12244. Epub 2013 Jul 10. PMID: 23841855.
38. Jamison PL, Gebhard PH. Penis size increase between flaccid and erect states: An analysis of the Kinsey data. J Sex Res. 1988 Jan;24(1):177-83. doi: 10.1080/00224498809551408. PMID: 22375645.
39. Bogaert AF, Hershberger S. The relation between sexual orientation and penile size. Arch Sex Behav. 1999 Jun;28(3):213-21. doi: 10.1023/a:1018780108597. PMID: 10410197.
40. Yafi FA, Alzweri L, McCaslin IR, Libby RP, Sangkum P, Sikka SC, Hellstrom WJG. Grower or shower? Predictors of change in penile length from the flaccid to erect state. Int J Impot Res. 2018 Nov;30(6):287-291. doi: 10.1038/s41443-018-0053-3. Epub 2018 Aug 1. PMID: 30068977.
41. William A. Schonfeld, Gilbert W. Beebe, Normal Growth and Variation in the Male Genitalia from Birth to Maturity, The Journal of Urology, Volume 48, Issue 6, 1942, Pages 759-777, ISSN 0022-5347, https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(17)70767-7.
42. Wessells H, Lue TF, McAninch JW. Penile length in the flaccid and erect states: guidelines for penile augmentation. J Urol. 1996 Sep;156(3):995-7. PMID: 8709382.
43. Savoie M, Kim SS, Soloway MS. A prospective study measuring penile length in men treated with radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. J Urol. 2003 Apr;169(4):1462-4. doi: 10.1097/01.ju.0000053720.93303.33. PMID: 12629384.
44. Nguyen Hoai B, Pham Minh Q, Nguyen Cao T, Sansone A, Colonnello E, Jannini EA. Data from 14,597 penile measurements of vietnamese men. Andrology. 2021 May;9(3):906-915. doi: 10.1111/andr.12978. Epub 2021 Feb 9. PMID: 33484108.